Saturday, February 27, 2010

Week One: Gestational Week 4

Where do I begin? We started this journey a little over 5 years ago. We've been through fertility treatments, a miscarriage, more fertility treatments, the adoption of TWO precious children, and more fertility treatments. 

About 3 months ago I talked to Dr. W about doing some blood work to see if I was even ovulating and if the levels were ok. I went in for a day 21 blood work test and everything was "normal". 

That's just it. 

They have never really found anything "wrong" with me. I had a blocked tube once and they fixed that. But everything is always "normal". 

Only...I'm not normal! :)

So she had me come in to do an ultrasound to see what my uterus looked like and if there were any cycts or anything like that. Nope. Everything was "normal".

She started me on Clomid, 50 mg. 

I went in on day 17 for another ultrasound and she said the follicles weren't quite big enough. They needed to be at least 2 cm. So she gave me a new prescription for Clomid, 100 mg. 

I went in the next month on day 17 for another ultrasound. Still the follicles weren't big enough. In fact, they were smaller than the time before. The lining of the uterus looked great and she gave me another prescription for Clomid, 150 mg. 

So it's all hurry up and wait. My friend Becky came in town on Feb 17 and spent a few days with us. She left on the 20th (day 29 of my cycle) and I took a pregnancy test that day.

Negative.

I have been somewhat training for a 10k run in April and my friend Andrea always go workout Sunday evenings after church. Well we hadn't been in about 5 days since I had company and I had started feeling a little crampy so I wasn't really wanting to go run, but we did anyway. I just knew I was going to start in the next few days. 

Monday was busy. Hadleigh and I had to run to San Antonio, she ended up sick with an ear infection, running fever so we had a long day. The next day it SNOWED in Kerrville! CRAZY! We woke up, ate breakfast and played in the snow before school.
 

Hadleigh stayed home, since she ran fever the day before. 
It had been over 48 hours since I took the last pregnancy test, so I decided to take another one. I peed on the stick and left it to sit. 

Went back in about 10 minutes later. Found this. 
 

I think I may have been in shock. I've seen this before. It didn't last long. 

The first thing I did was take a picture and send it to my friend Lauren. I asked her if she thought it was positive. I didn't want to get my hopes up. 

She said yes, call your husband....call your doctor. Go see her today. So I called, got in, they did and ultrasound. 4 weeks and 2 days old.

She said the lining was thick and good. Did some blood work. I am taking a progesterone supplement and go back on March 8th for another ultrasound.  
 

Wednesday morning we woke up to this:



Aren't they the cutest?

It has been a long week. Still feel a little crampy but no other "symptoms". It was a relief when they finally called on Friday to say all the blood work levels were normal. I was a little disappointed I didn't get to talk to Dr. W because she wasn't working that day. The nurse said, keep doing what you're doing and if Dr. W wants you to do something else she will call you on Monday.

We are so happy. I am so nervous. The days sort of drag a little and sometimes I can't sleep at night with worry. I know everything will be fine.

The Lord is good. 

We are so thankful for this pregnancy and thankful for answered prayers. We are so blessed by friends and family who have been with us through all of this and continue to pray.

1 comment:

  1. did so good reading your entry until the end, and then the tears came. happy 2 be on the journey w/ you! you'll be in my prayers friend.

    ReplyDelete